Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Bread Mission part 3. The First Sourdough!

Today I baked my first sourdough loaf, and it turned out lovely!  The dough felt quite different as I worked with it - I wasn't sure how it would turn out - so when it came out well-risen and delicious, I was super psyched.  Nothing but wild yeast in this loaf!  The flavor and texture is better than any loaf I've baked so far.  This loaf is mostly white flour.  The sourdough starter was given to me by Joe (upstair neighbor extremely nice guy incredible pro baker).  He started it from his rye starter and fed it with whole wheat.  The preferment is made with this starter and whole wheat bread flour.  Then when I mixed the dough, I used unbleached white flour.  I'm looking forward to getting more whole wheat flour in the loaf, but first I will work on my hearth sourdough loaf with this same dough.

The wonderfully funky starter:

Fresh out of the oven, cooling off.  

Nice crumb!

Loving the flavor of this one!


Below are some photos of my previous loaf.  This was a sesame hearth loaf, still using yeast.  It was good, but I've got some work to do on my shaping.  The sourdough (above) was much different to work with than the dough from this sesame loaf - it felt stronger, so I'm looking forward to working on the shaping with the sourdough.

Ready to go in the oven:


Placing the dutch oven on the baking stone.  

The finished loaf.  This was a tasty loaf, but it spread out like a pancake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment