Sunday, November 2, 2014

First Hearth Sourdough!

Hello Readers.  This is an amazing feeling.   My first hearth sourdough loaf.  (That is a loaf that is not in a pan, but shaped and baked on the stone.)  It's very exciting, because I really have no idea what I'm doing.  I don't really know how to read the dough yet.  I'm guessing.  I really thought this loaf was not going to work.  I had the dough proofing overnight in a banneton (proofing basket) in the fridge.  It seemed pretty lifeless this morning.  It seemed to have dried out a bit, and was a little crusty on top.  So when I slashed it and put it in the oven under the cast iron pot, I really had no expectations of it rising.  But I thought I should at least bake it and see what happened.  Well, halfway through baking, I removed the pot, and the thing had risen nicely - way better than my yeasted hearth loaves ever did, in fact.  I was super excited.  

The crumb is nice and open - maybe even too open.  But that's way better than the other way around in my opinion.  The taste of this one is a little more sour.  It tastes like a sourdough bread, which I certainly don't mind.  The texture is nice and crunchy on the outside and pretty soft on the inside.  Win! 

Coming out of the oven: 

Pleased student of bread:


The moment of truth...slicing into it after it cooled for an hour:  


I wasn't try to look like a psychopath.  It just happened.  

No comments:

Post a Comment