Wednesday, December 10, 2014

100% Whole Wheat Sourdough!

A bread mission update for you.  I've continued to work on my sourdough loaves, improving things subtly.  Joe did a little shaping workshop before Thanksgiving, and it was very helpful.  Thanks, Joe!

The next step was to make a 100% whole wheat loaf.  The dough up to this point was about 75% white flour and %25 percent whole wheat flour.  I was concerned that the 100% whole wheat loaf wouldn't rise and would be very dense.  As I mentioned before, my experiments with whole wheat sourdough a few years ago resulted in bricks.  But this time the bread turned out great!  I was super psyched.  The crumb was nearly as open as the white loaves - it didn't feel heavy at all.  And the flavor was super delicious!  I baked this loaf on Sunday and I've got another one proofing now - I couldn't wait until the weekend to bake again, so I mixed dough mid-week.  

It's interesting, my bread mission has essentially traced history in reverse.  Every step that I've taken has been a step toward healthier bread made in a more traditional way.  First I went from yeast to less yeast, then to white sourdough, and now to whole grain sourdough.  And the bread has gotten more delicious and more nutritious.  It illustrates the benefits of traditionally made foods.  I'm excited about making bread as well as sauerkraut and kimchi in the traditional way.  

Provided the next loaf is as good as this one, I'll be ready to take the next step, probably after the new year.  I am content to just enjoy this achievement for a few weeks.  I tell you, it's delicious!  Ask my wife, or stop by and try some for yourself.  





No comments:

Post a Comment