Saturday, February 14, 2015

Susan and Sasaki: Day 14 Valentines = Good Health

Hello lovely readers,

In my post from Day 4, "Spring is in the Air,"  I spoke a little about how in astrology the first day of Spring is February 4th and how Groundhog Day must align with the energetic start of Spring.  Well, I've been thinking about it more and have come to find that more holidays are celebrated in February to celebrate spring!

I recently found out that in Japan, they have a holiday called Setsubun Day on February 3rd, which is a day to celebrate the beginning of Spring.  They celebrate by eating Ehomaki (lucky direction roll), a sushi roll eaten whole.   One is suppose to eat the ehomaki facing the direction that is auspicious that year.  They do that to cleanse away all the disease-bringing evil spirits for the new year to come.   

Do you know what Valentines day is about aside from all the cupids, chocolates, and romance?  There are many different legends and different traditions about it, but there was one tradition that really caught my eye about Valentines Day.  In Slovenia tradition Saint Valentine was one of the saints of Spring and good health.  This is the day that plants and flowers start to grow, it marks the first day of Spring.  

So, today I'm going to celebrate Valentines day as a day to bring good health to those I love.  I put extra love into my cooking today.  Not only to bring good health for myself and those that are eating my meals, but in hopes that all you readers will be inspired to eat well and treat your body well.  It's Spring...time for change...a new beginning...let's cook for good health! 

Happy Valentines Day!

I completed two more recipes from "The Complete Macrobiotic Diet" book.  A total of 47 recipes down, 35 more to go!  



It's rare I bake treats, but for this special Valentines Day I made heart shaped Almond Biscotti. 
Isn't it cute?
Almond Oat Biscotti (my own recipe)


 Classic Kinpira (p. 332)


 Barley Bean Stew (p.278)




No comments:

Post a Comment