Saturday, October 31, 2015

Tradition

Happy Fall!  

I recently got to spend two weeks cooking with my mom.  Not long before she came to visit me, she was in Japan visiting her mom and they cooked together everyday.  Cooking with someone is the best!  It's a great way to connect with someone, learn to cook new dishes, improve your cooking, and pass down traditions.  My grandma's cooking has influenced my mom's cooking, and my mom's cooking has influenced me.  I don't get to see my grandma too often, but through cooking the same dishes she cooks, I somehow feel close to her.   Tradition is powerful!  In the busy lives we all have today, I think it's important to keep our appreciation of tradition.  Tradition connects us to the people that are meaningful to us, it reminds us of how we came to be who we are, it reinforces our values, and gives us a sense of belonging. 

With my mom, we made our favorite dish...Pumpkin Croquettes! 
Cooking tip: to make croquettes vegan friendly with all whole ingredients, create a pureed batter with flax seeds and water (in place of eggs).  This will allow the bread crumbs to stick on.  


No comments:

Post a Comment