Sunday, January 3, 2016

Vegan/Macro Challenge Day 2! Home-made Mochi Recipe

Hello foodie friends!

Oh what fun it's been to cook!  

When I first began practicing macrobiotics I fell into eating VERY narrowly. I'm sure many of you can relate to that. It was always, I can't eat this, I can't eat that. Over the past couple years I've expanded my pallet, ingredients, and cooking methods immensely.  It's only day two of the vegan/macro challenge and it's been so wonderful to be reminded of the variety we CAN eat! Yesterday's menu included pan fried mochi for breakfast. I love mochi, but somehow I've forgotten to include that in my menu planning for several months!!! How did that happen?!?!  Ack! It's so easy to fall into routines! That is why participating in cooking challenges and projects are so wonderful. It's a great way to be remind of the variety we can eat and to learn new recipes!

So yesterday, I ran out to my local natural market to buy mochi, only to find that they were out of stock until Tuesday! Ugh! But no worries...I remembered my mom's special home-made mochi recipe. It's not made the traditional way (I don't own the traditional tools) and it's not made the modern way (with bread machines) either. It's just a creative way of making mochi when you don't have any of the proper tools to make mochi. That's why I call it "special!" I'm posting the recipe here so you all can make it when you find yourself in a bind. 

Note: it's not going to come out pretty like the store bought mochi or how the professionals do it. It's really sticky and messy!

Ingredients:
1 cup sweet brown rice
1 1/3 cup water
pinch of salt

Soak one cup of sweet brown rice overnight. Drain the water, blend the sweet brown rice with 1 1/3 cup of water, and pinch of salt until it turns creamy. Pour mixture into a ceramic Osawa pot and close the lid. (If you don't have a Osawa pot or pressure cooker, it can be done in a ceramic cookware and a big pot, but you'll have to cook it an additional 15-20min longer.) Fill the pressure cooker with about 2 inches of water, and place the Osawa pot in the pressure cooker. Pressure cook for 45min. Voila! Then the messy part comes...spooning it out. Spoon out and place it on a well oiled frying pan or drop into your soup! Enjoy!



Breakfast:
Pan-friend Mochi with Brown Rice Syrup and Cinnamon
Steamed Bok Choy



Lunch:
Nori Rolls with Sauerkraut, Blanched Carrots and Collard Greens


Dinner:
Squash (Kobocha) Risotto
Sautéed Swiss Chard and Shallots
Boiled Salad with Daikon, Carrots, and Nappa Cabbage
and lets not forget a glass of white wine! Woo!



No comments:

Post a Comment